Information about latex gloves and latex allergies

Information about latex gloves and latex allergies

What is latex:

Latex is a natural substance found in nature that comes from the rubber tree. The milky white fluid is drained from the tree and when this is left to dry it becomes sticky and gooey. Several chemicals are added into the rubber to make the latex used for latex gloves.

Allergic reactions to latex:

Allergic reactions to latex are quite common. Some common reactions to latex are:

Red rashes

Itching

Swelling

Eye and nose irritation

Shortness of breath

Shock and seizures

Latex allergies should be taken seriously and preventative steps should be taken. An allergic reaction can come on suddenly even if you have been tested negative for latex allergies. Latex allergies are caused by proteins in natural rubber and the chemical process used to make latex gloves. For people who have allergies we recommend using a non latex alternative such as nitrile.

Where are latex gloves used:

Latex gloves are used common place in hospitals and medical facilities as a barrier against bacteria and viruses. The more we discover how illnesses are passed from person to person the more precautious our society has become. It is now common place for latex gloves to be used in food preparation, food handling and any service where contact is made from person to person where there is a chance for the transfer on infection and disease. As a precaution against the spread of malicious bacteria and viruses US Postal service employees use gloves while handling our mail. Auto technicians use gloves to prevent oil and grease from being in contact with the skin, this makes for easy cleanup and prevents harmful chemicals from penetrating the skin.